While there are many advocacy organizations focused broadly on the LGBTQ+ community there are very few that are led by and created specifically for the trans community, and in Massachusetts, MTPC is that organization.
Trans Leadership Academy
The Trans Leadership Academy seeks to alleviate major hurdles that TNBGE individuals face due to disproportionate rates of unemployment, incarceration, poverty, and houselessness among TNBGE populations, particularly for BIPOC TNBGE people who face intersectional discrimination. This program will focus on providing TNBGE individuals with skills, knowledge, experience, and support that they are often not afforded the privilege of gaining in traditional educational or workplace settings due to the aforementioned issues. By supporting TNBGE people with workforce development, mentoring and training, and material and financial support in an affirming environment we hope to alleviate the issues of unemployment, economic inequity, incarceration and recidivism. Learn more!
The Identity Document Assistance Network (IDA Network) provides guidance, support and financial assistance for trans, nonbinary, and gender expansive people living in New England who are seeking to update their legal name and/or gender on federal and state documents. Not everyone needs an attorney’s assistance in this process, but it can still be very overwhelming and complicated so we’re here to help! While MTPC does not currently provide legal representation or legal counsel, we will refer you to an appropriate legal resource if necessary. Learn more!
Our work includes:
- Organizing trans, nonbinary, and gender expansive people to empower and advocate for themselves.
- Developing leadership within trans, nonbinary, and gender expansive communities through community education and opportunities.
- Educating the public, the media, and institutions about issues faced by trans, nonbinary, and gender expansive communities.
- Increasing awareness of policy makers about the needs of trans, nonbinary, and gender expansive communities.
- Advocating for equity and equal access through policy changes at institutional, state, and local levels.
The aim of MTPC’s programming is to improve the lives of all trans, nonbinary, and gender expansive community members in Massachusetts. Read more about our strategic plan.