Building trans community power together!
Join the Steering Committee
The Steering Committee manages and supervises the Executive Director and MTPC’s overall work, as well as serving on MTPC’s other working committees. For a complete description of the Steering Committee roles and responsibilities, please refer to MTPC’s Bylaws.
The MTPC internship/office volunteer program gives high school students, college students, and interested community members the opportunity to advance professionally and/or academically by learning about, and working in, a small non-profit that focuses on trans rights and nondiscrimination on the basis of gender identity and gender expression.
How long do internships and office volunteer positions last?
We ask that interns and office volunteers stay for a minimum of 8-12 weeks and 12-20 hours per week-long enough to really dive into a project and make a significant contribution. We’ll work with you to set your start and end dates any time throughout the year. Internships can last as long as one year.
What qualifications do I need to be an MTPC intern or office volunteer?
Strong interest in trans rights, social justice, economic justice, public policy, and/or LGBTQ+ rights. You do not need to be enrolled in school to work with MTPC. An internship or volunteer position is a great opportunity to build a resume with job experience.
All internships and office volunteer positions are UNPAID.
Legislative and public policy
- Policy research and writing
- Assist with community advocacy trainings
- Identify constituents and set up meetings with legislators
- Create legislative talking points and advocacy materials
Fundraising and Development
- Grant research and writing
- Assist with direct mail and fundraising events
- Update and maintain donor database
- Coordinate bulk mailing for fundraising appeals
- Design print and digital materials for fundraising campaigns
Communications and public relations
- Create media database
- Write press releases
- Update community listings and mailing list database
- Assist with social media and content of newsletter, website, and blog
Graphic design and materials development
- Developing branding for flyers, buttons, t-shirts, and posters
- Create new print ads, brochures, flyers, and handouts
- Creating graphics for web and print
- Design publications and brochures
- Maintain calendar of statewide trans events
- Handle request for information and resources
- Help with mailings and event preparation
- Provide general office support
- Done on an individual basis