Trans ID Project

The Trans ID Project is a collaborative project of MTPC, GLAD, and law firms Ropes & Gray LLP and Goodwin Proctor LLP. Together, we are providing free legal assistance with name and gender marker changes across New England.

What it is:

Trans, nonbinary, and gender expansive people living in New England (Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, or Vermont) seeking to update their legal name and gender on federal and state documents can receive free legal representation through this rapid-response program. 

The Trans ID Project is a collaborative project of MTPC, GLAD, and laws firm Ropes and Gray LLP, and Goowdin Proctor LLP.

Assisting transgender people through the legal process for:

  • Legal name change
  • Social Security card
  • U.S. passport
  • Driver’s license/Non-driver state-issued identification card
  • Birth certificate

Who can Participate:

Anyone is welcome to participate (parents of minors may participate in the name of the minor). However, it is important to note that this assistance is only available to those living in New England.

Financial Assistance

We work to provide financial assistance for those who can not afford a name and gender marker change on state and federal identity documents. These fees can exceed $300, depending on the steps, making access difficult for many in our community.

If you can, please consider donating to MTPC as we help our community members with name and gender marker change fees.

If you are in need of financial assistance, please email us at

Sign up for the Trans ID Project and receive free legal assistance with name and gender marker changes.
NOTE: We are currently experiencing wait times of about 4+ months to match individuals with a lawyer and are prioritizing those whose situations most require lawyer assistance. Do any of the following apply to you?
  • I am incarcerated or formerly incarcerated
  • I am or am working with a system-involved youth
  • I am facing housing insecurity
  • I have heightened concerns around privacy or safety or face risk upon disclosure of my identity
  • I face barriers to completing name or gender change forms because of a disability
  • I have another specific concern that may require working with a lawyer

If you’ve answered “yes”, please complete this intake form if you have a circumstance that may require working with an attorney.

If you’ve answered “no” please visit our self-directed resource page to access resources that will guide you through the process of changing your name or gender marker. If you have any questions about the self-directed process, please contact GLAD Answers.
card link destination

To help you with your name and gender marker change process, MTPC has organized a suggested order in which to change your documents and a checklist of all of the required documentation for each step.

Name and Gender Marker Checklist

Name and Gender Marker Reference Guide

Nonbinary Gender Marker FAQs

Reference guides for CT, ME, NH, RI, and VT coming soon.

If you experience any legal barriers because of a delay in being able to complete a name or gender change, or if you have other questions or concerns, please reach out to GLAD Answers

For more information on name and gender marker change process, visit the ID Documents page.