Nonbinary Gender Marker FAQs

Recent changes in the RMV’s records system will allow any individual in Massachusetts to use one of three gender markers: female (F), male (M), or nonbinary, which will be
designated using the internationally-recognized marker of “X.” This document answers questions the following questions: Why might someone want to use a nonbinary gender marker? Is special documentation needed to get a nonbinary gender marker? Is any state other than Massachusetts doing this? What if coworkers or clients are upset about this change? and more. Read or download the Nonbinary Gender Marker FAQ

Learn how to update your legal name or new address with the Department of Revenue (DOR). If your legal name or address changes, you will need to contact DOR in order to have your legal name or address updated. Changing your legal name or address with the Social Security Administration, Registry of Motor Vehicles (RMV), or any other agency does not automatically update your information with DOR. To update your legal name with DOR, you can send proof of your legal name change to DOR through the mail or an e-message. Documents that establish proof of a legal name change include:

  • A copy of your driver’s license
  • Social Security card.