Contact your state legislators
- Enter your ZIP code
- Get the phone numbers
- Come back to THIS window
5-digit zip code:
Or go to Where do I Vote? to look up your legislators.
What to Say
- Ask for your Representative or Senator by name. Usually you end up speaking with a legislative aide.
- Introduce yourself as a constituent. Give your name and town.
- Tell them the Act Relative to Equal Access bill is VERY important to you.
“Hi my name is _____________. I am a constituent of Representative/Senator ______. Is the Representative/Senator in today? (If no, ask if there is someone you can talk with.)
I am calling because I would like my legislator to cosponsor An Act Relative to Equal Access in Hospitals, Public Transportation, Nursing Homes, Supermarkets, Retail Establishments, and All Other Places Open to the Public, House Docket #1172 and Senate Docket #568. This bill has been filed in the House by lead sponsors Representatives Carl Sciortino and Byron Rushing and in the Senate by lead sponsors Senators Sonia Chang-Diaz and Ben Downing. Is this something Representative/Senator ______ is willing to cosponsor?
IF THE AIDE SAYS YES, you can reply with:
- Thank you! That’s great! I really appreciate Representative/Senator _____’s cosponsoring this bill. I will be sure to pass your name along to Representative Sciortino (or Senator Chang-Diaz if talking to a Senator).
- The bill has been filed as House Docket #1172 and Senate Docket #568. Your office can seek or confirm your cosponsorship on LAWS. (If Representative) Please contact Raffi Freedman-Gurspan, 617-722-2013, email@example.com, in Rep. Carl Sciortino’s office. (If Senator) Please contact Katherine Adam, 617-722-1673, Katherine.Adam@masenate.gov, in Senator Sonia Chang-Diaz’s office if you have any questions.
IF THE AIDE SAYS YES, WE HAVE ALREADY SIGNED ON HAS A COSPONSOR, you can reply with:
- Thank you! That’s great! I really appreciate Representative/Senator __________’s cosponsoring this bill.
IF THE AIDE SAYS THAT THEY NEED TO CHECK WITH THEIR BOSS, you can reply with:
- I have an Equal Access Legislative Brief that I would like to email to you about the bill. Also, Raffi Freedman-Gurspan, 617-722-2013, in Representative Carl Sciortino’s office (if talking with your Rep) and/or Katherine Adam, 617-722-1673, in Senator Sonia Chang-Diaz’s office (if talking your Senator) can also provide your boss with more information.
- Thank you for your attention to this matter. When is a good time for me to check back about where you stand after reading the brief and what action you are taking on this bill?
IF THE AIDE SAYS NO, you can reply with:
- Thank you for your time. I would like to email a 2013 Equal Access Legislative Brief to you today and I would like to meet with you (if talking directly with Senator or Rep) Representative/Senator _____ in the district office to talk about the bill.
- When is a good time for me to check back about where you stand after reading the fact sheet?
The big finish: Thank them for taking the time out of their busy schedules to talk with you and wish them a good day!
Email staffers the 2013 Equal Access Legislative Brief.
Fill out our Report Results form to let us know how it went.
Wasn’t that easy, and maybe even fun? Pat yourself on the back for participating in the democratic process. Wanna do more? Encourage others to call.
Find your own
Massachusetts State Government
- House of Representatives
- State Senate
- Senate and House leadership
- Commonwealth of Massachusetts website